Chapter 87
Director Jin still wore his usual serious expression. Seeing Fang Cheng arrive as well, he said, "Good timing."
"Both of you, sit down first."
He Qi discreetly reached his arm behind Fang Cheng’s waist, giving it a gentle rub before properly withdrawing it.
Director Jin observed their actions and couldn’t help but sigh. "Fang Cheng, do you remember what I told you last time?"
"Yeah."
"Xu Quan’s situation was handled well, and I’ve already spoken to the parents." He paused. "I told them the two of you have already broken up. After all, you’re still young, and they won’t hold it against kids who don’t know any better."
He Qi: "We won’t break up."
His voice was calm, a simple statement of fact.
Director Jin dreaded students like him the most. On the surface, they seemed composed and reasonable, but in reality, they were stubborn and unyielding. "Whether you break up or not isn’t for me to decide. But if I or any other student or teacher sees you two being intimate on school grounds even once, Fang Cheng, your parents will be called in."
Fang Cheng clenched his fists. "Understood, Director Jin."
He Qi asked, "Director Jin, how do you define 'intimate'?"
They could refrain from holding hands or kissing at school, but what if someone claimed even walking side by side counted as intimacy?
Director Jin pursed his lips. "It’d be best if the two of you never appeared together at all."
Fang Cheng: "We’re in the same class. How can we not appear together?"
Director Jin: "Then I’ll transfer you to another class."
He Qi: "No."
He smiled. "Just teasing you. Your Class 4’s unity is practically legendary in this school. Transferring you out would cause even more trouble."
Fang Cheng couldn’t help but pout slightly, feeling inexplicably upset.
He Qi nudged his foot toward Fang Cheng’s, their identical laceless shoes lightly touching.
"Alright, what the director means is that as far as the school is concerned, the two of you have already broken up. If we catch you again, we’re calling your parents," the homeroom teacher summarized. "Focus on your studies. He Qi’s recommendation is pretty much confirmed, but Fang Cheng, if you want to attend the same university as him, you’ve got a lot of work ahead of you."
"I know," Fang Cheng said quietly.
Director Jin: "Fang Cheng, go back to class first. I need to discuss a few more things with He Qi."
Fang Cheng left with his head lowered.
Between the administration building and the classroom building was a covered walkway connecting the three grade-level buildings and the offices. The center of the walkway was shaded by a bamboo grove.
Late one night, He Qi had once stood there, gripping Fang Cheng’s chin as he kissed him deeply.
Back then, He Qi had still been running away, convinced he wasn’t good enough for him.
But now…
Now he was a top student with a guaranteed spot at Tsinghua, while Fang Cheng remained a plagiarist who stole others’ ideas.
Fang Cheng struggled to breathe. Not wanting to return to the classroom filled with lively recitations, he decided to wait for He Qi in the bamboo grove, catching some fresh air.
In reality, he only waited five minutes, but it felt like an eternity before He Qi finally appeared at the other end of the walkway.
Spotting Fang Cheng crouching by the path with his arms around his knees, He Qi quickened his steps. "Why didn’t you go back to class?"
Fang Cheng stood up too fast, his vision darkening as he staggered forward. He steadied himself against He Qi before forcing himself to stand straight despite the dizziness. "Waiting for you."
He Qi didn’t let go of his arm. "I’ve been feeling like something’s off with you. Let’s go to the hospital this weekend."
Fang Cheng shook his head. "I just didn’t sleep well while you were gone. No need for the hospital."
He Qi instinctively frowned, but Fang Cheng’s cool fingers smoothed his brow. "Really, I’m fine. Let’s go back. What did the director say to you?"
"About the recommendation." They walked as they talked. "He said once the official notice comes through, I won’t have to come to school. I can audit university classes or do other things. But I’m thinking of learning more about game development first—after all, I’m still your employee."
Fang Cheng forced a smile. "That contract was just a joke, you know? Made it up to chase you. You should do what you really want."
"How could I?" On the stairs, He Qi stood one step below, looking up slightly. "I promised you. I’ll see it through."
Fang Cheng’s pupils reflected He Qi’s earnest expression. His refined features were nothing like when he’d first transferred, the intimidating hostility that once lingered between his brows had nearly vanished.
He was an even better person than the He Qi of his past life.
Fang Cheng chuckled softly. "Okay. But no rush. If there’s something else you want to do, put that first."
"This is the only thing I want to do…" He Qi squeezed his hand. "No, wait, there’s also you."
"..." Fang Cheng’s face flushed slightly as he turned toward the classroom, muttering under his breath, "It’s not like I’m stopping you… You’re the one insisting on waiting until adulthood."
He Qi followed closely, his voice low and teasing: "Waiting for you to grow up…"
Grow up? I'm practically a thirty-year-old man already.
Fang Cheng slipped into the classroom through the back door, not disturbing the teacher. He Qi followed, sitting down before propping his chin on his hand, lost in thought.
Soon, Fang Cheng noticed him stealthily pulling out his phone, gauging the teacher’s blind spot before hiding it under a book to play games.
Well, someone with one foot already in the recommendation pool had the privilege of slacking off in class.
When class finally ended, He Qi was dragged to the restroom by Xie Shiyuan and the others. Fang Cheng seized the chance to check his phone.
He Qi’s phone had his fingerprint registered, so unlocking it was effortless. Opening the recent apps, he discovered He Qi had actually been browsing a shopping site.
And the items he’d been searching for…
Fang Cheng’s face burned hotter the more he scrolled, until a sudden voice behind him shouted, "Fang Cheng!"
Startled, he slammed the phone face-down on the desk.
Wang Sijia leaned over from behind him. "What’re you doing? Checking your boyfriend’s phone?"
"Uh… yeah." Fang Cheng tossed the phone back into the desk like it was scalding, then hurriedly retreated to his own corner, rubbing his ears.
When He Qi returned and picked up his phone, he found new cracks on the screen.
"..."
Wang Sijia tattled, "Fang Cheng did it! I saw him snooping through your phone!"
He Qi smiled faintly. "It’s fine. Let him check."
Fang Cheng hunched his shoulders, rubbing his ears as if he hadn’t heard.
Though He Qi had ranked first in the winter camp, until the official approval came through, he still had to attend classes and take the final exams.
Having missed some lessons while preparing for the competition, Fang Cheng spent the last week teaching him the new material, helping He Qi catch up while reviewing for himself. The results weren’t bad.
By the time exam grades were released, winter break had already started. He Qi’s ranking had slipped slightly, but his solid foundation kept him within the top 50.
Fang Cheng, however, had dropped out of the top 50, falling past the 100th place.
Fang Zhiming had wanted to talk to him about it, but his wife reminded him, "He’s not the same Cheng Cheng as before. He knows what he’s doing."
Unfortunately, Fang Cheng overheard this as he returned from grocery shopping.
Setting the bags down, he pressed at the red marks left by the plastic handles on his palms, waiting a moment before knocking.
"Coming, coming!" Zhao Jinghua shuffled over in slippers. "This kid, why didn’t you just use your key?"
Fang Cheng forced a smile as he carried the bags inside. "Forgot."
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar