Chapter 365: The Last Question
Feng Jingteng lowered his eyelids slightly, as if pondering whether Gu Yuan's last words were right or wrong. It was a good while before he spoke: "Uncle is right."
Hearing this, Gu Yuan's stern expression relaxed, and he smiled: "Jingteng, you are my family. I would never harm you. Furthermore, regarding all these things I've done, my original plan was to tell you everything once you were promoted to the rank of Major General. But then you married Mei Chuanqi, which is why it's been delayed until now."
"I know." Feng Jingteng seemed to understand Gu Yuan's good intentions and smiled. "I just wonder what Uncle's purpose is in researching beastman genes?"
"Researching beastman genes is merely Xiunan's hobby."
Feng Jingteng asked in a low voice: "Is it really just that?"
Gu Yuan's eyes shifted slightly. Researching beastman genes was certainly not just that.
Seeing Feng Jingteng's unbelieving expression, and knowing that in the long run, he couldn't hide his true purpose, which would only push Feng Jingteng further away, he honestly admitted: "I won't hide it from you. I want to cultivate a batch of soldiers with high genetic physical fitness."
Feng Jingteng frowned, disapproving: "Uncle, you should know that such research is impossible to succeed. Great-grandfather and Li Bing are the best examples."
Gu Yuan immediately retorted loudly: "But you are the most successful example."
A flicker of surprise passed through Feng Jingteng's eyes. He suddenly remembered the day he first returned to the Gu family. The first thing Gu Yuan did wasn't to settle him in, but to immediately take him for testing.
Thinking of this, his heart turned cold.
"Uncle, did you also consider me a research subject?"
If not, why else would he know so much about implanted genes and inherited genes? If he wasn't interested in this research, how could he understand it so well?
Gu Yuan was stunned, a flash of guilt in his eyes. Then he hurriedly retorted: "You are my family, how could I possibly consider you a research subject?"
Feng Jingteng naturally hadn't missed any of his expressions. He changed the subject: "When will this research be completed?"
Seeing that he didn't pursue the previous topic, Gu Yuan breathed a slight sigh of relief: "If you could hand Mei Weixian over to Xiunan for research, I believe it could succeed within half a year."
Feng Jingteng was silent.
Afraid he would disagree, Gu Yuan pressed on: "Jingteng, you must trust your uncle. I absolutely will not harm the child. Besides, to achieve great things, one must set aside personal matters. Whether it's a partner or a child, as long as your career is successful, you can have these things again later. You shouldn't only focus on the present."
Hearing these words, Feng Jingteng's heart sank to the bottom: "My military rank has reached the level of Lieutenant General. Looking at the entire planet, there's no one who has reached Lieutenant General before the age of forty. Can I not be said to have achieved success in my career?"
Gu Yuan snorted coldly: "What is a mere Lieutenant General? I don't even care about the position of Grand General now."
Feng Jingteng narrowed his eyes: "Uncle, what do you mean by that?"
Was it like Feng Jia'ao said, that Gu Yuan wanted to establish an empire and seize imperial power?
Gu Yuan said indifferently: "I'll tell you about that later. Go back and think carefully about what I said. I'll give you time to consider. I hope you won't disappoint me."
Feng Jingteng asked: "I want to ask one last question."
"Go ahead."
"I want to know, if the Mei family falls into Uncle's hands, how will you deal with the Mei family members?"
Gu Yuan said without hesitation: Cut the weeds and dig up the roots.
[斩草除根 (zhǎn cǎo chú gēn): lit. to cut the weeds and dig up the roots; fig. to eradicate completely.]
"I understand what I need to do."
Feng Jingteng nodded, got up, and got out of the hovercar.
As soon as the hovercar door closed, the partition at the front of the vehicle was lowered. Che Xiunan was elegantly holding a cup, taking a sip of tea, and said calmly: "This ungrateful wretch can't be tamed."
Gu Yuan frowned somewhat displeased: "Isn't that wolf you raised by your side the same?"
He was referring to Si Jiantang.
Che Xiunan let out a light laugh: "Jiantang likes Mei Chuanqi, but he doesn't have Feng Jingteng's ability to constantly protect Mei Chuanqi and oppose you at every turn."
Gu Yuan didn't want to discuss this anymore and changed the subject: "Mei Feichen has already found out that I was behind the actions against the Mei family. Now he's trying every possible way to pull me down from my position as Grand General. So, I urgently need the Che family's help right now."
Che Xiunan put down his teacup: "Wanting the Che family's help isn't difficult. Become my partner, and the Che family will naturally help to the end."
Gu Yuan smiled: "Shall we go register our marriage right now?"
Che Xiunan responded cheerfully: "Alright."
Gu Yuan chuckled deeply, stood up, walked over, pulled the person into his arms, and kissed the tea-scented lips.
The driver, who was driving, silently raised the partition, blocking the heated scene behind him...
Feng Jingteng got out of the hovercar but didn't leave immediately. Only after the military hovercar had risen into the sky and flown far away did he take out his communicator, stop the previous recording, and send it to Mei Feichen's communicator. Then he returned to his own hovercar.
Soon after, Mei Feichen called on the communicator, his voice deep and serious: "I've heard the recording you sent. I never imagined he held such deep resentment towards the Mei family."
Feng Jingteng said quietly: "I never imagined it either."
He had always regarded Gu Yuan as his closest, dearest relative. Yet Gu Yuan's reason for bringing him back to the Gu family had another purpose. Learning this truth was truly disappointing.
Especially Gu Yuan repeatedly asking him to hand over his own son for research, which completely chilled his heart towards Gu Yuan.
"What do you plan to do next?" Mei Feichen asked.
Feng Jingteng said: "Chuanqi is pregnant. Don't tell him this news for now. As for the specific next steps, we'll discuss them after I return."
"Alright."
Feng Jingteng drove straight back to the Mei residence.
After Feng Jingteng was summoned away by the Grand General's sergeant, Mei Chuanqi returned to the military camp with Wu Lang and the others. He didn't see Feng Jingteng back in camp until the fifth day.
Seeing that Feng Jingteng's expression was normal, he didn't ask what Feng Jingteng had discussed with Gu Yuan. Moreover, the time they spent together was very scarce.
Because after the military funeral came the new recruit induction ceremony.
On the day of the new recruit registration, Mei Chuanqi received the people who had come from Z City, totaling 30,485 people, including Xiao Liuzi and Yun Xian.
Originally, many more people from Z City wanted to enlist, but Yun Xian had stopped them, because Z City still needed a portion of people for management, and also needed strong young people to protect Z City. Those wanting to join the military had to wait until they had trained another group capable of managing and protecting Z City before they could come.
The military was currently very short of personnel, so the assessment process was skipped, and they went directly to genetic and physical fitness testing.
Those with genes reaching BB level and physical fitness reaching level 10 or above could enlist. Before this, Mei Chuanqi had already explained this to Yun Xian, so the people from Z City all met these conditions.
Due to the large number, they were directly arranged to live in the East Dormitory. So now, all the rooms in Building C, Building B, and Building D were fully occupied.
"You guys are lucky this time. If it weren't for the current military shortage, there's no way you'd be able to move into the East Dormitory so smoothly."
Mei Chuanqi told the Z City people about his own enlistment experience, including having to get beaten up by veteran soldiers when he moved into the East Dormitory.
Everyone who heard it laughed heartily.
"I've already submitted your files to my superiors. From now on, you are soldiers of the Shadow Unit. From now on, you must address me as Major General Mei. Of course, in private, you can also call me by my name. Alright, dismissed now. Find your rooms, put away your luggage, and remember the East Dormitory rules clearly. Then, after 5 o'clock, go to the cafeteria for dinner on your own. Tomorrow morning at 5 o'clock sharp, assemble at the training ground by the old factory building. If anyone is late, I will punish you without mercy."
"Yes."
The people from Z City saluted crookedly and informally, making Mei Chuanqi both amused and exasperated. He decided that starting tomorrow, he would first teach them how to salute properly.
As soon as the formation dispersed, Yun Xian immediately walked up to Mei Chuanqi: "Major General Mei, when will you introduce your partner to the others?"
Mei Chuanqi also felt he should introduce Feng Jingteng to the people from Z City, but Feng Jingteng had been very busy lately.
"He's been quite busy recently. He only comes back after I've fallen asleep at night. Once he has some free time in a while, I'll bring him to meet you all."
"Alright."
Returning to Building A, Mei Chuanqi was very curious about what Feng Jingteng had been so busy with lately.
Logically, during a period with no missions, Feng Jingteng should be relatively free. Moreover, he was now a Lieutenant General managing the entire unit; there was no need for him to train troops like before. So what exactly was he busy with?
Just as Mei Chuanqi was lost in thought, he heard someone shout: "Major General Mei, come quickly."
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar