Chapter 63 Hug Me
"Jealous?"
"What’s there to be jealous about?"
Cheng Zan found it strange that he had even thought of this word, but after seeing Lin Ru’an’s reaction, he felt like… he might have guessed right?
Lin Ru’an suddenly fell silent, his eyes darting around as if embarrassed. Was this… the look of someone who’d been seen through?
Cheng Zan leaned his tall frame against the edge of the redwood desk. No matter what, Lin Ru’an never failed to amuse him, and Cheng Zan felt the urge to tease him again.
Crossing his arms, Cheng Zan exuded an imposing aura as he said in a low voice, "He’s my big brother, what are you thinking?" His tone was deliberately serious.
Just as Lin Ru’an fell for it again and flusteredly tried to explain, Cheng Zan’s lips curled into a wicked smile. He lifted Lin Ru’an’s chin and said, "Getting jealous over something like this—what do I have to do to properly satisfy you?"
In the end, Cheng Zan still cared about Lin Ru’an’s feelings. Even if he found it unbelievable that Lin Ru’an would misinterpret his interactions with his big brother, if this really became a knot in Lin Ru’an’s heart, he was willing to patiently untie it.
This gentle side of Cheng Zan—probably no one had ever seen it before.
Lin Ru’an was utterly bewitched. Whether it was truly different from how things were with his big brother didn’t matter. No matter what, he wouldn’t let go. Steadying himself, Lin Ru’an met Cheng Zan’s gaze and said, "Come here."
Obediently, Cheng Zan straightened up and took a step closer. "Open your arms." He followed Lin Ru’an’s instructions, moving step by step like a dutiful puppet.
Cheng Zan stood there slightly confused, his arms half-open as he watched Lin Ru’an. The latter smiled at him, then took a step forward until they stood intimately close. Lin Ru’an wrapped his arms around Cheng Zan’s waist, resting his head on Cheng Zan’s shoulder. "Hug me."
Cheng Zan chuckled softly. The two embraced quietly yet deeply, as if an elegant waltz playing in the background would have made the moment perfect.
Cheng Zan’s cheek brushed against Lin Ru’an’s hair, and he thought—who needed a nap? This person’s embrace was the harbor that could heal all his exhaustion.
"I was a little jealous," Lin Ru’an mumbled against him. "But I’m easy to please. As long as… you hold me, it’s enough."
Cheng Zan didn’t know what expression he was wearing as he listened, but the result was his arms tightening around Lin Ru’an even more. His other hand gently cupped the back of Lin Ru’an’s head, fingers threading through his soft hair. With a tender smile, Cheng Zan murmured, "Aren’t I holding you properly right now?"
In this world, among countless people, we search, intersect, experience chaos, disappointment, and missed chances. But in the end, we’ll find that one person—even someone as selfish as ourselves—who makes us willing to give everything, just to hear a single satisfied word from them.
"Don’t worry, I won’t let go. As long as you don’t walk away, I’ll never let go."
____
At lunch in the restaurant, Cheng Zan told Lin Ru’an about his past with Xue Shuming.
"You destroyed Brother Xue’s dream?" Lin Ru’an looked utterly disbelieving. The accusation was too heavy—no matter what, he didn’t want Cheng Zan to carry such a burden for the rest of his life.
Cheng Zan didn’t have much appetite today. After a few bites of steak, he stopped eating, though his hands still gripped the knife and fork. Even if his big brother no longer held it against him, that didn’t bring him peace. Cheng Zan lived simply, he didn’t dwell on pain unless necessary. If Lin Ru’an hadn’t asked, he wouldn’t have revisited these memories.
"Big Brother’s dream was to be a basketball player. I’ve watched his games—he was really good, the ace of his school team, even led them to win trophies in major competitions. When we were kids, he was the one who taught us how to play." Speaking of those carefree days, Cheng Zan’s expression softened unconsciously with nostalgia. "Even though his family opposed it and wanted him to inherit the winery, Big Brother loved basketball and never wavered. He always knew what he wanted and pursued it fearlessly. I’ve never told anyone, but… I really admired him." Cheng Zan smiled at Lin Ru’an.
But then, his fingers tightened around the cutlery, restless. "Yet, when I was 16, I destroyed the person I admired so much." As he said this, even the light in his clear eyes dimmed. "Because of me, his right hand was left with a permanent injury—one that made high-intensity training impossible."
Before Cheng Zan could finish, Lin Ru’an had already moved from across the table to sit beside him, gently prying the utensils from his grip and interlacing their fingers instead. Cheng Zan leaned back, resting his head against the seat, exhaustion creeping in.
"The three of us got into a fight with some troublemakers over a street basketball court. I wasn’t even angry—I don’t even remember what I was feeling. But I know I threw the first punch. I couldn’t control the urge to see blood. Back then, I was practically desperate for any excuse to vent, to hurt someone." Cheng Zan lifted his other hand, staring at it—a hand with broad palms, long fingers, and distinct knuckles, elegant and well-shaped. Yet he frowned at it.
Lin Ru’an couldn’t quite decipher Cheng Zan’s expression now. Afraid he might try to harm himself, he quickly grabbed Cheng Zan’s other hand too, forcing him to look at him instead.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar